Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuscobia Winter Ultramarathon

So, here we go...one more time - YES, I can do it!  All week long, I couldn't sleep and was more nervous than ever, as the big day was about to come.  Thursday, December 16th, okay Saint Paul, and here I come Park Falls, Wisconsin.  After 3 hours and 40 minutes of barely nothing, I reached Mason Motel.  Aahh...at last, a quiet place for me to rest my eyes.  After bringing all the things inside the room, I unpacked and repacked, making sure all the stuff is set to go in the morning.  And finally, I was ready for my cozy bed.  3:30am and I was still wide awake.  I tossed and turned all night long, perhaps it was the bed bugs marching back and forth on my body, cheering for my big day. 

6:45am rigth on the start line, I had bib number 6 on my sled (but my favorite number is 7).  Anyway, "Okay guys, it's 7:00," the race director said, as I slowly turned on my shuffle, ready to do some rockin' on the trail.  After 4 hours and 20 minutes, I finally reached 15 miles with an average speed of 3.7 miles per hr, not too bad for myself.  But I kept telling myself to maintain at least around 3.2 miles per hr with some stops for food, of course.

Jamming to my tunes and running, I came to the first checkpoint at 3:30 - OH YEAH, some warm homemade chili was waiting for me!  At this point, I also refilled my Camelbak and after 30 minutes, I hit the trail again with flashing light on my head, warning other runners to look out for me.  Again, I had recharged and ready for the next checkpoint.  Of course, porky me was getting hungry when I got to Radison (between checkpoint 1 & 2), so I chowed down some smoked salmon, yuck...it was cold.  Just when I passed Radison, I saw the firt two bikers, probably Jason and Lance.  After 50 miles on the trail, I was still ahead of 2 other runners.  Now the sad thing was, when I got cold and had to stop for my jacket and  insulated pants, I saw a couple guys gradually getting closer to me.  Already with the wamers on, I comfortably paced myself again.  With my body producing too much heat, I had to stop and take off some layers to cool down.  By this time, I met Chris (another runner); we walked for awhile, but this time he was walking faster than me.  So again, I was by myself on this moonlit night.  At last, I got my 75 miles down at Rice Lake, and I sure was happy.  Of course, I didn't want to get too excited because it's just half way! I supposed it's din-din again, right?  Here I was with the reactor stove, ready for some spaghetti with meat sauce - mmm...mmm...mmm..   I also noticed that I was chaffing - Oow.  I had to put some cream quick; I grabbed the Desitin just in time.

Back on the trail again ready for another 29 hours or so.  Considering it's my second day without rest, I decided to rest and put on some warmers for my hands and feet.  After a 2-hour nap, it was time to fire up again.  By 10 o'clock, I reached the last and 3rd check point where I got my chicken noodle soup and some warm water.  At this point, I geared up and went back to the trail, running as fast as I could for 3 hrs, eventually I felt tirred and had to slow down with almost 10 miles left.  I pushed myself to keep going, but the last mile seemed forever long - I couldn't see the finish line!  I called the race director just to make sure that I didn't pass the line; he told me to just follow the trail and would meet me there.  Indeed, he did, and I walked next to him to THE FINISH LINE with 62:45, coming in 2nd place.  I said thanks to my legs and warmed myself with the heater in the tent.   We took some pictures, got a pizza, and took off in dfferent directions.  For me, it was back to St. Paul - a long drive back home, so tired and sleepy.  

And that is Tuscobia 150...thanks everyone for a great race.  Stay tuned because Arrowhead Ultra 135 is coming!

1 comment:

Bebe said...

Hey Honey,
I love your blog! I can't wait for our Arrowhead trip...